Apparently people love rhubarb pie so much in the south it makes them sing, and I can see why. Rhubarb seems to say, "Spring is here!" and its distinguishing tart yet sweet flavor when muddled with sugar then baked just can't be beat. But for us west-coasters rhubarb has become a forgotten song, a melody we have heard of but have never experienced. It really is a shame, rhubarb is so delicious!
Thus the inspiration for my new dessert, Rhubarb Strawberry Dump Cake! Well that and being reminded how delicious dump cake is thanks to my friend Aaron Salcido.
The cake turned out sooo delicious and was so easy to make. The tartness of the rhubarb simmered down the traditional extreme sweetness of the dump cake and added such an interesting element of flavor. Not to mention I mixed, baked and served out of a single baking dish, score!
So be adventurous and give ear to the lost sweet song of rhubarb; you might find yourself singing along... Bebop-a-rebop!
Rhubarb Strawberry Dump Cake
- 1 1/2 C rhubarb, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 can strawberry pie filling
- pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 box of yellow cake mix
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 350
2. In a med size baking dish, mine held 6 cups, or a deep 9-inch deep pie dish toss the strawberry pie filling, rhubarb, lemon and salt together.
3. Top the mixture generously and evenly with the cake mix, you can use a little over 1/2 a box if you want, I did.
4. Top the whole thing evenly with the melted butter and bake for 35 min or until the cake on top is a deep golden brown.
5. Cool for 15 minutes and serve with freshly whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.